IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW CLIENTS REGARDING COVID-19:
In compliance with Governor Edwards' "stay at home" order and in an effort to protect our clients and staff, our law firm is working remotely for the duration of this epidemic. This does not mean that we are limited in the legal services that we provide. In fact, getting help with your legal issues is now more convenient for you than ever before. Specifically:
1. Same Day, Telephonic Appointments. Our office offers free, same day, telephonic appointments. That means that you can speak with a lawyer from the comfort and privacy of your own home. We also are available via Skype and/or FaceTime if you prefer video conferencing.
2. Easy Scheduling. To schedule your free appointment simply call one of the following numbers: (337) 347-9919 - Lafayette/Lake Charles areas; (225) 771-8220 - Baton Rouge area; (504) 861-7488 - New Orleans area; (985) 590-4099 - Northshore/Houma areas; and (318) 716-7177 - Central & North Louisiana. You can also email us at or text us at (337) 347-9919. Just list the date that you would like to have an appointment and we will respond promptly with available times. EVENING AND WEEKEND APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE.
3. Modern, Streamlined, Electronic Case Management. The vast majority of cases that our firm accepts (bankruptcy, student loan, collection defense, domestic issues) can be handled through electronic means. We collect the documents and information, and obtain the signatures that we need through email, text, fax or mail. We are capable of handling your entire case electronically for your convenience and safety. At this time, most courts are even holding telephonic hearings only, so it is possible for a limited time to have your whole case concluded without ever setting foot in a courtroom.
4. Convenient Payment. We offer several convenient payment options: by mail via cashier's check or money order; PayPal; debit card; credit card (non-bankruptcy only); Venmo; and cryptocurrency. We will also accept cash payments in person, once the "stay at home" order is lifted.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EXISTING CLIENTS REGARDING COVID-19:
Bankruptcy Courts are still open during the shut down but have put new procedures in place for the protection and safety of debtors, attorneys, judges and court staff. Below is a list of new procedures that will have the most impact on your case:
1. Chapter 13 Clients who have experienced JOB LOSS, LAY OFF, REDUCTION IN HOURS due to the COVID-19 shut down - READ THIS!!!.
a.) If you are in a chapter 13 plan and your income has been adversely impacted by the shut down, the courts have put a procedure in place to give you a two month suspension of plan payments.In order to qualify for this suspension a motion must be filed. In order for our office to file a suspension motion, you must provide us with a letter from your employer showing the layoff, reduction in hours, or the termination of your employment.
b.) Depending on the length and severity of the shutdowns, and on your financial situation during that time, certain debtors will qualify to have their payment plans extended to seven (7) years, as opposed to the previous maximum of five (5) years.
2. Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Clients - READ THIS!!!
The Bankruptcy Courts are conducting all hearings and creditors' meetings via telephone for the foreseeable future. This means that you will not have to physically appear at the courthouse, but you must participate via phone in order to receive your discharge. If you have not already, you will receive a new notice of telephonic hearing and my office will be in touch prior to your hearing date with instructions on how to call in.
As always, if you have any questions, please call, email or text the office for more information.